St. Sepulchre's Cemetery
Illustration: Norman Pollock
One of Jericho's most peaceful spots is St. Sepulchre's Cemetery. Don't bother looking round for 'St. Sepulchre's Church', however, as there never was one. The cemetery was opened in 1849 as an 'overflow' for the parishes of North Oxford whose churchyards had been filled as a result of 19th Century cholera epidemics.
Among the notable people buried here are Thomas Combe, one of the first Superintendents of the Clarendon Press (OUP) and a benefactor of St Barnabas Church, and Benjamin Jowett, a 19th Century Vice-Chancellor of the University.
For a more detailed history see the Jericho Sketchboook